Peyton Manning was a monster for the Record Books in 2013 debut
- Updated: September 6, 2013
Welcome to the 2013 season, folks. The Broncos put it to the Ravens in the season opener on Thursday Night Football (or Sunday Night Football on Thursday Night or whatever it was called). I’ve already gone into some detail on some shining performances from the likes of Julius Thomas and other under-the-radar players. But, this article is to focus on the MONSTER game that Broncos QB Peyton Manning had last night. Wowsa.
The major note on the night is the NFL record tying 7 touchdown passes. Manning joins Joe Knapp (1969), Y.A. Tittle (1962), George Blanda (1961), Adrian Burk (1954), and Sid Luckman (1943) as quarterbacks to reach that mark in a single game. Very impressive. We speak of the NFL being a pass happy league in recent years, but notice there hasn’t been a QB throw 7 TD passes in one game since 1969.
The Broncos trailed at the half, but it was the 2nd half when the success and the records started piling up for Manning. From a fantasy perspective he racked up a gaudy 46 points on the night and he allowed the likes of Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, and the little known Julius Thomas to have big nights. Below is a look at all of the records Manning either set, tied, or extended in the second half of the 2013 opener. What a night.
- Extended the NFL record for most three-TD games in a career with 74
- Tied the NFL record for most four-TD games in a career with 23
- Tied the NFL record for most five-TD games in a career with 7
- Set the NFL record for most six-TD games in a career with 3
- Ties the NFL record for most TD passes in a single game with 7 and becomes the second ever to throw 7 TDs without an interception
Other statistical notes:
- Manning threw his 443rd career touchdown pass to bring him to 65 behind record holder Brett Favre.
- Manning has now thrown for 59,949 yards in his career which puts him 1,412 yards behind Dan Marino for 2nd on the all-time list and 11,889 behind Brett Favre.
- Let’s talk crazy. After one week Manning is on pace to throw for 7,392 yards and 112 touchdowns.
- More crazy: Manning is on pace to score 736 fantasy points in 2013.
- Manning threw as many touchdown passes in one game as former Bronco Tim Tebow threw in his last 19 games.
Now that’s a good statistical bang to start the season. Congrats to fantasy owners that had Manning or his successful targets from last night. Condolences to those that are facing Manning this week. There’s always Week 2.
Kelly Smelser is Owner/Senior Writer for Punch Drunk Wonderland and PDFantasy Sports. Architect of the PDW fantasy football world and general spinster of NFL and Fantasy Football news and analysis. Long walks on the beach, sunsets, and other such niceties are also fine...